Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdutch513 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I've also been exploring oil catch cans to reduce the amount of oil in the intake manifold and hopefully extend the life of my DISA valves. What's the benefit of venting to atmosphere? I'm not sure if there's much vacuum to begin with due to valvetronic, but I'm not familiar with our vacuum system.

My plan was to simply splice the catch can in between the valve cover and manifold. The BMS can fits on the strut brace behind the PS fluid reservoir:

Ayyyyyyye, this is my video lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
For one I wouldn't like to get my manifold full of oil after thoroughly cleaning it. I've read disas don't like oil either.
This. I pulled my intake manifold off to troubleshoot a misfire. There was like 10 ounces of oil in the manifold and the DISA valves were covered, and one was actually broken(due to oil, I'm guessing).
After that realization I vented to atmosphere. There is a little valley going to the bottom of the car right by where my catch can was installed. Put a little KN filter at the end of the hose and closed off everything else.

The N52 engine doesn't created much vacuum anyway and with the supercharger kit, it produces absolutely none where the hose was connected. ( I checked with a vacuum gauge) It does create a small amount of vacuum at the manifold, but not pre supercharger. So I figured it was useless to have it go back into the intake system. Haven't had any problems yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdutch513 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I've also been exploring oil catch cans to reduce the amount of oil in the intake manifold and hopefully extend the life of my DISA valves. What's the benefit of venting to atmosphere? I'm not sure if there's much vacuum to begin with due to valvetronic, but I'm not familiar with our vacuum system.

My plan was to simply splice the catch can in between the valve cover and manifold. The BMS can fits on the strut brace behind the PS fluid reservoir:

Ayyyyyyye, this is my video lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
For one I wouldn't like to get my manifold full of oil after thoroughly cleaning it. I've read disas don't like oil either.
This. I pulled my intake manifold off to troubleshoot a misfire. There was like 10 ounces of oil in the manifold and the DISA valves were covered, and one was actually broken(due to oil, I'm guessing).
After that realization I vented to atmosphere. There is a little valley going to the bottom of the car right by where my catch can was installed. Put a little KN filter at the end of the hose and closed off everything else.

The N52 engine doesn't created much vacuum anyway and with the supercharger kit, it produces absolutely none where the hose was connected. ( I checked with a vacuum gauge) It does create a small amount of vacuum at the manifold, but not pre supercharger. So I figured it was useless to have it go back into the intake system. Haven't had any problems yet.
Do you have pictures of your setup? I'm currently looking at what to use to close off holes in the intake aswell as probably removing the pcv heater idk if to leave it disconnected
Appreciate 0