United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Wow never knew Taiwanese whiskey was popular. Pretty cool. There’s a Concertmaster for $82 at Total Wine. Not a lot of ratings though.

For $60-80, what’s the best choice from the ones below?
1. Aberlour A’bunadh (tasted before and was good)
2. Whistlepig Straight Rye 10 yr
3. Highland Park 12 yr
4. Oban 14 yr
5. Balvenie 12 yr double wood
6. High West Rendevouz (tasted before and was good as well)

I do enjoy rye and have a few bottles right now.
All good options in their own way, and a wide variety of tastes. #1 or #4 would be my choices (but around here, the Aberlour is pushing $100 IIRC). Aberlour is a complex sherried taste; Oban is a smokier but less 'harsh' Islay. Balvenie or the HP12 if you aren't as into the smoke/peat. Have to note that I'm not enough into rye/bourbon to spend this money - the cask-strength versions from Wild Turkey, Knob C. or Bulleit are about as fancy as I ever get with those.

Perhaps worth considering, not real pricey: Bunnahabain, Bruichladdich (lots of variations, including un-peated), Glenfarclas, Glenmorangie (esp Quinta Ruban but lots of different finishes), Talisker 10 (not Storm). Assuming from the initial Asian interest that you aren't as into the high-peat like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, or Lagavulin. The Quinta Ruban might be my top pick if you are looking for s/t with complex connoisseur flavors - to me it was quite unique and didn't readily map onto the typical scotch flavor spectrums. If you aren't careful, in 6 months you'll have caught the bug and will just be trying s/t different every week
I'll second Quinta Ruban, one of my favs and not a pain in the wallet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 1
Maynard3846.50