View Single Post
      07-14-2019, 01:42 AM   #2
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue90 View Post
I have a 2009 335i and its been acting very strange recently. I have seen a variety of behavior in the past 2-3 days, for example, it died (all electronics went black) for about 2 seconds while going 60 mph and then everything turned back on. It has also died at lower speeds (that time I had to actually start the car back up), and sometimes if I park and later try to start the car back up, all the electronics go black.

I know there was a recall for the power cable on the car and I took it apart a bit and sure enough, I saw the splice in my power cable where the recall was performed. I don't think this problem is related to that though. I know its not my battery either because it hovers around 12.5 volts and I load tested it and everything seems to be in order. Its not my alternator because I get around 13.6-13.9 volts when the car is turned on.

The weird thing is, when my car is won't start, sometimes if I wait 2-3 minutes and try again, it will start up. I have also had luck going in the trunk and disconnecting/reconnecting the negative terminal to start it.

I was thinking maybe I have a bad ground connection, but thought I'd post here and see if anyone has more knowledge regarding these types of issues.
Sounds like the power cable issue to me. I have seen quite a few cars now which have had the recall done, but the person doing the job has failed to tighten the clamping screw up sufficiently, causing a poor connection. Next time the issue is occurring, have a feel of the fuse box in the area that i have circled in the picture. That is where the cable connects to the power distribution box. If it is hot then it will be a poor connection there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0