edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Because he has cooling issues. Just because you don't doesn't mean he doesn't. Doesn't mean he doesn't know how to drive. Everyone has cooling issues at 4,300ft on stock cooling set up with N54. Everyone! If you think you can swoop through corner at that altitude and prevent limp mode, you are dead wrong. Your radiators are missing some 20-25% of efficiency at that altitude. I have seen N54's with upgraded coolers limping at HPR. There are no tricks here with cooling. Yes we all running 10/90% concentrate/distilled water, yes we mostly run heat at max, but you still need beefed up system from stock. I personally run 335 oil cooler on N52. That heat exchanger some N52's have (X3, X5, European models) is not sufficient here although at low altitude in TX, FL people run it with no problems. Same is with N54. People running in TX come here just to find out altitude is a real bitch.
From what was written in post 1003 I gathered that person is inexperienced. They got car sick, had to stop and didn’t experience limp mode. I didn’t connect getting car sick due to altitude. I have had people get sick with me the car at pretty much sea level altitude because they don’t have track experience. Since person was looking for answers on what to do regarding overheating I reply with better get some seat time first. Basically you and me read the thread differently. Had I known that they have experience and are tracking at 5000 altitude I would go with your reply too.
I just want to be clear that this is serious performance issue at altitude that cannot be remedied by more seat time. I get what you trying to say. But, that won't work there, not to mention heat+altitude in summer (his track is close to I10 in NM). That doesn't mean he shouldn't get more seat time, I mean that is all point of track.
Imperative here is to beef up cooling system so that he doesn't destroy his engine or transmission if automatic. IMO CSF coolant radiator and CSF upgraded oil radiator are way to go if stock. If he added power, I know a lot of people run here two oil radiators on N54/55 in addition to upgraded CSF coolant radiator.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50