02-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpike View Post
Good advice. That is what concerns me about my garage - the floor was previously painted (about 10 years ago) and I'm not sure I'll be able to get it up good enough to allow the epoxy to really grab on. Of course, if I can't get it up, maybe it is bonded well enough to not matter.

I'm actually leaning towards the epoxy - I figure it is cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, I could always just tile over it, and it certainly won't look any worse than the current paint on the garage floor

Did you have any experience with the non slip additives - if so, what are your thoughts on using them with the epoxy?

-Rich
To get the old paint off, you could try to search for some products that remove water based paint, assuming it is. You can scrape it and powerwash it if you can too. Im sure if you googled a few ways to get old paint off the garage floors, there are pretty ingenious results.

As for the non-slip stuff, thats up to you. Some of them come with the color chip flakes which help A LITTLE, or you can simply add some silica sand (Im pretty sure that is what is in those little pouches are) to the mix, but it will make your epoxy spread at a shorter distance, so instead of say 250sqft per gallon you make only get 225sq ft per gallon. Just estimates and it may have changed, but thats about how it works, also depends on how much sand you add to it.

I used to work in the #1 rated paint dept in all of Home Depot (2000+ stores) so, unfortuneatly, I know what I am talking about (although it has been 3 years since I did any of that stuff). As for putting it down, no clue. I sold it and knew about the stuff but actually doing anything epoxy wise, I never had hands on experience.