View Single Post
      06-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #33
hungry4cheese
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
More info is better. It is generally a good idea to have an engine running perfectly before going for a tune. With all the issues you had with the engine there could be many more gremlins to sort out before you get it resolved. But going to DudMD for some error diagnostics might be a good idea. Maybe your new MAF is faulty?
Definitely replace the thermostat. That is a know failure point but usually doesn't lead to misfires. Maybe download Test-o and do some logging for dudmd to analyze.
So I take it with the fire you also replaced all vacuum lines, correct? Sometimes the valves turn bad also. Does your boost work correctly with the change-over valve?
Hey Mik325tds thanks for the response. So the other weekend I took the car for a long over 200 mile drive. It did really well, but it did not work to reset my zero quantity adaptations. I was still getting random misfires and sometimes jerky acceleration from a stop. It did great otherwise.

I did replace all of the vacuum lines with new silicone hoses and haven't had an issue with those. The entire vacuum canister area melted during the fire so I replaced that with a brand new one, and got a set of used valves there as well. I haven't seen any errors for boost or vacuum at this point. I don't hear any hissing or notice any boost issues. I'm not sure which one is the change over valve.

Before the fire I did a walnut blast on the car and got things much cleaner. Valves looked shiny and clean with the endoscope.

Bmw m57 walnut blast before and after:

It may be possible that my new maf is faulty. I am not sure. I checked idle values of it and they seemed okay and changed on acceleration.

I definitely have a failed thermostat. This will be my next project to tackle along with water pump and replacing a cracked AC line and condenser. I will also delete the egr in the process. The egr valve is throwing errors currently, but I have a race pipe to delete it. For now I'll let it hang to the side plugged in to avoid limp mode. I'll tackle that project next week most likely.

I did go to dudmd tuning and they were very helpful. Their machine was able to clear all of the adaptations and recommended I put in some hotshots extreme diesel fuel system cleaner. So I did just that and am slowly getting through the tank. After the adaptations were all cleared, the engine seemed very smooth at idle in gear. Barely any interior vibrations. I'm going on a very long road trip with the car early next week so I am hoping to get through the tank with the additive - reminds me that I need to add some DEF since I won't make it before it goes to limp mode with how much I have now (about 500 miles left). I have not gotten the rough running controller errors yet since the adaptations were cleared. Fingers crossed. They said if it does come back then most likely I have an injector failing on cyl 1 and/or 5. This could be due to age/mileage or also due to the fact that all injector wires shorted out during the fire. No maf errors at the moment either.

I will report back soon to let you know if things improve in the coming days.

Off topic, but in case you wanted to see some fire carnage (it took me about 8 minutes to get to a fire extinguisher after I stopped and noticed the flames)...

Last edited by hungry4cheese; 06-02-2021 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0