Drives: 2011 335d

Cracking Front Passenger Speaker: NOT a blown speaker

Car Info:
2010 E90 LCI 335d
Base Audio
CIC iDrive
Bavsound Stage 1 Speakers

The Issue:
My front passenger side door speaker cracks when there is bass-heavy music. It's only that one speaker. This issue was present with the stock speaker as well as the bavsound speaker. I even swapped around the bavsound speakers but the issue persists.

The cracking is dependent on bass amount and volume. If the music has little bass but is turned up, the speaker cracks. If it has a lot of bass and is turned down, there is mild cracking. As I turn the volume up the cracking gets worse. If the bass is low and volume is low it won't crack(or at least it isn't totally obvious) and I can enjoy my music

This issue is independent of the door. I held the speaker in my hand with the door card off and it still cracked.

The kicker here is I have tried installing and uninstalling an Avin iDrive unit, and have had to pull the head unit as well as the idrive screen about 3 times. I'm thinking one of those times I just didn't fully seat a connection and that's why this issue appears.

Anyone have any ideas about where to look for broken wires, bad connections, or similar? I'm hoping since it's only limited to the passenger door speaker and nothing else it shouldn't be a huge problem.

P.S. When people say "head unit", is that the iDrive screen, or is it the box where those preset buttons and CD player are? This has always confused me.

Last edited by Torqu3; 02-06-2018 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0