View Single Post
      11-28-2015, 06:53 AM   #1378
Asomi
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Hey Guys! Another disappointed customer of Big Motoring World Canterbury here.Just to keep the thread alive, and to keep others from making a mistake, this was my experience with them:

Bought a 09 reg BMW 320d In June from BM World Canterbury. Not going to bore you with all the details, in a nutshell, 6 year old automatic beemer 140k on the clock for just under £7000 cash.
For “peace of mind” bought 12 month third party warranty on top of the 3 month BM World gives you as standard (contract and T&C will follow in the mail in a few weeks’ time). Salesman assured me all cars are checked presale, and I am fully covered by the warranty. What could go wrong, right?
When the crankshaft pulley came off 4 weeks and 600 miles later, I was told on the phone, that “used cars do break down, It is not their problem”, nevertheless I should speak to the after-sales department. Many phone calls later I learned the following Things:
1. The warranty applies, as it’s not considered wear and tear, but I should pay upfront to the garage that fixing it, then claim back the money upon receipt, minus the £100 excess, which is payable on every claim. Furthermore it only pays maximum £1000 per claim, and the total of all claims per car cannot exceed the value of the car (quite an issue when you get a used BMW with engine troubles).
2. BM World unable to help or assist with recovering the car, no courtesy car offered.
3. It takes 3 signed-for letters, two emails, some time on the phone and a visit in person to get an official answer out of them 9 weeks after first contact.
4. They don’t consider consumer law to apply (Sale of Goods act 1979), and simply state that the issue was not there when they sold the car (even thou they offer no proof of that).
“I was aware of age and mileage at the time of sale” they wrote.(yet it isn't wear and tare??)
5. Office of fair trading will only tell you that you can take it to court if you want, but will not do much else for you.
6. Within 6 weeks of sale had to replace 2 unevenly worn tires, so do check even if the car has a fresh MOT on it.(I did not claim for those, however it was missed at presale checks and MOT?)
7. They won't pay for any costs, not even the £100 excess.Together with car hire, travel costs to collect the car and the tires, I'm out of £750.

After some "negotiations" on the phone, they agreed to pay for the repair, and claim it back on the warranty themselves, but it isn't clear to me if it actually happened.

On a personal note: BMW’s n47 engines have lots of problems I was unaware of until recently, do your research before buying one from any trader.
Appreciate 0