07-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #27
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
Just a heads up, but I spoke to a head BMW tech (10+ years experience) and he said the t a common problem for oil in the coolant is that where the turbo oil lines meet the block, it's like an upside-down heart shaped drain, and the actual block fractures and cracks at that middle. Apparently it's a well known problem and the only remedy is a whole new block. Thankfully I'm less than 4,000 miles away from my warranty ending and it is all covered. Whew. But it's easily a $7,000 job when all is said and done. Right now, I'm thinking "GOOD FUCKING SHIT DANIEL" for getting the extended warranty through my Credit Union. Whewwww.
Not bashing! But this is unbelievably rare. It is in no way a "common" problem. No need to get crazy paranoid just yet.

The "common" problem for oil in the coolant in these cars is a degraded OFH gasket. They fail (although usually first with external oil leaks) in many N55/N54/N52 engines. Head gasket problems are almost never reported, even in very highly tuned engines. Why is it that BMW can design such a fine head gasket and fail in such an epic fashion with oil pan, valve cover and OFH gaskets? IDK
Appreciate 0