05-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #74
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
You definitely need one more than 10A.

With the initial flash, it can take up to 38 mins. While the ignition is on, our cars electrics go like crazy especial the fuel pump. A common alternative is to unplug the fuse for the fuel pump, which is the biggest battery drainer.

If your battery is healthy, it should be able to sustain enough voltage for a full write without being charged. Your battery will still start and run your car if the voltage is below 10A, but MHD stops working as it needs a minimum 10A reading from your OBD port to function. If you're in a flash cycle and it drops below 10A, you'll temporarily brick your DME. It's not a major problem as you just have to start the process all over again.

But let's say you're flashing your only car. The voltage drops below 10A. You brick your DME. You can't go anywhere. I suppose you could still use the 5A charger and charge up the battery to full and try again
Thanks.
Will get that $40 20A charger today.
I am not too sure how good is the Ctek, it says that it can do something like recondition/maintain the health of the battery.
What about the 20A charger? e.g. if I leave the car in my garage for an extended period (more than 2 weeks), can it be used to charge the battery without damaging it?
It's ok if it doesn't, I will just use it solely for the MHD flash.
Appreciate 0