View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
That Helicopter empty weight is less than 2,000lbs, the Hercules empty weight is around 35 tons. The bigger, the heavier the aircraft, the more stress on the airframe.
That is a misunderstanding of how physics work. The only relevant figures are the expected loading and the stress the airframe can bear without damage or outright catastrophic failure depending on how far in the future you want to keep flying it. The airframe strength is based on the expected loading plus a safety margin. You can have a 250 lb microlight that breaks apart at 4G, because it wasn't designed for high loading, or you can have a 80,000lb heavy ass fighter that will withstand more Gs than the pilot, because it was designed to.

Also, aside from the fact that the pilot of that helo looped super close to the ground and almost killed himself, there are some inherent safety issues with looping a helicopter. Like the tail can get cut off. I think the rotor head on that particular craft is OK in low G, but some of them will come off in that condition. I think that video is extremely badass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Okay, then you go do it! As a former F-4 Phantom pilot, I can tell you that it is a BIG deal.
I would love to, any chance you can get me in the right seat of a C-130? Oh, right, fixed wing pilot sits on the left. lol. Are you also implying that you yourself have flown one? A F-4 flys way, way differently than a C-130, so if you haven't I'm not sure how your judgement is any better than any other pilot.

If anyone wants to see some of the most badass things done in a C-130 (at least that are public knowledge) read about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Credible_Sport
Appreciate 0