View Single Post
      03-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #24
cm335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Just got the 4A2E code for glow plug #5 on my x5 35d with approx 115k miles. Not sure if last owner had the plugs/controller ever replaced. Thermostat has been ok since I got the car and replaced it.

Is it still advised to just replace the controller first? I don't think it's possible to test the glow plug with intake manifold on, so I might as well change all the plugs at 28 each, and the controller too while I'm down there? BTW what is the torque for these glow plugs?

Or do these plugs last very long and it's best not to change them until they are dead?
When I changed mine, I had #2 and #5 plugs showing as bad. I replaced them both and had the feeling to replace the controller as well (but didn't). Sure as heck, shortly after I replaced the glow plugs, the controller went. You can change out the controller without removing the intake. If you look on youtube, there is a video that shows you how. Its tight clearance, but doable. The biggest pain in doing it this way is removing the connector plugs. Other than that, its fairly straightforward. Not sure on the torque of the plugs. Careful when removing these and use some penetrating oil first and let them sit for an hour before trying to remove. If you snap one, it won't be a good thing.
Appreciate 0