View Single Post
      07-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #81
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep
Drives: 335xi

It's not that most brands suck, it is just what is offered for the xi pales in comparison to what the i's have. It almost seems like the suspension companies handled this platform as an after thought.

The issue comes down to price. If you are looking to lower your car, Bilsteins & H&R/Eibachs are great options. If you are looking into coilovers (c/o), then I feel like if you are getting ready to spend $2k+, you should be getting your money's worth.

My first preference, still, is custom valved/sleeved Bilstein inserts with Hyperco/Swift springs. Unfortunately when I contacted Bilstein they said they weren't interested.

The next choice was a PSS9/10 setup with linear rate springs. Again, no dice.

After that I contacted H&R and they were game to convert the xi c/o to more appropriate linear race springs. However, all of their revalving services have to be performed in Germany, so that priced them out of the game.

I then contacted some high-profile Evo/Sti shops to see if they could finesse the xi KW V1's similar to how they handle the c/o's for the "steevo" platforms. No reply.

I then asked my shop (who campaigns an e90 328i and an M3 in the conti series) if they would help me out. They looked into mocking up a stock shock body with Ohlins internals and a threaded sleeve. The costs, again, started to pile up. It got the point where they said it was more reasonable to custom order a set of Penskes (for $5k+...no way). I inquired about their thoughts on the AST's, but they mentioned that they have had some fitment and quality issues. However, when they work, they are outstanding. They then referred me to the company I'm dealing with, now.

So, as you can see I've tried just about every path and this is really the only viable one.

I received an email Friday saying that test fitments have been completed and that they were close to completion.

I'm not trying to sell you guys anything, I just want the xi community to finally have a great suspension option.

Last edited by Doyle; 07-24-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0