United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Aaaarrgggh.. this drop is proving to be more expensive than budgeted. okay okay. So get an alignment. What do you mean performance alignment vs. normal alignment?

I can't recally what the performance shop quoted for alignment, but i figured to get the install by them, and then take it to a simple service shop to get the alignment. maybe discount tire? if they do that. i think the performance shop said it would be like $120.

can you explain WHY i would need an alignment? thanks.
The difference between a performance alignment vs a spec alignment is the performance version will give you more toe, camber, etc...for better grip, increased turn-in response, worse tire wear. A spec alignment will get the car within factory specs for acceptable tire wear and not overly agressive handling.

When the car leaves the factory, it get's an alignment because by just installing the suspension alone, the car will not track in a strait line. But that's okay, that's why they have adjustments built in. Once those adjustments are altered, like when you remove the springs and dampers, the specs are gone. So when you alter the suspension, you need to re-align it, either to factory or performance specs.

Lowering is never just a matter of installing springs. At the very least, you should get the car alignment done.

Danny

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0