View Single Post
      03-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #102
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

The service items such as drivetrain fluid changes have been extended due to engineering, better component design (design and mechanical engineering), use of better materials (materials engineering), better manufacturing tolerances (manufacturing engineering), and better fluid chemistry (chemical engineering).
why then does every GM transmission using Dexron 6 state that you should change the fluid at 50K miles for severe use, and change the fluid and filter at 100K miles for normal use, yet BMW says never change it?

It's a GM transmission in my 328, what's special about BMW Dexron 6?

I'll follow GMs service intervals thank you.
Coincidentally my transmission shifts a ton better with fresh fluid in it, and the 100K mile fluid I drained was badly oxidized.
So much for lifetime fluids being better engineered.
Now, do I think you should be doing 5K mile oil changes? No, that's wasteful. Do I think 15K mile intervals are too much? Yes, and oil analysis shows that to be true in my N52. The sweet spot is 7500-8K for my particular motor and driving habits. 10K was a tad too much, 15K is insane.

So what I'm saying is use your best judgment and take samples, not take BMW's word as gospel, because frankly, they don't care once it's passed the warranty period.
Appreciate 0