View Single Post
      07-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I am running 245/40-17s square (previously 245/45s, but the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s weren't available in 245/45 - 245/40 is closer to stock anyway) on Style 157s to replace the original 230s on my car, I really feel there are no downsides other than losing 10mm width on the rear. If you were willing to pay for aftermarket wheels and either run a staggered setup or run camber on the front, you could run 255s and in that case I would say that there is really no downside. Some would say that you'll lose some crispness on turn in but unless you're driving exclusively on Autobahn quality roads and racetracks, the 19s just are not practical for everyday driving. I don't miss mine at all, and the 17s are noticeably lighter.

Do be careful though - I'm missing a chunk out of my RF fender after blasting a pothole that was hidden by rain while going around a corner. I can't say that that is due to running 245s in the front as opposed to the stock 225s. I can say that checking your bump stops and replacing them if they are falling apart is critical - my bump stops went completely before my struts did, although the RF strut was pretty blown (possibly due to the same incident that damaged my fender? I can't say which came first, chicken or egg, but I can tell you that my ride was pretty bone jarring before I fixed everything. Apparently these cars actually ride on the bump stops at rest and they contribute to the spring rate.)
Appreciate 0