View Single Post
      09-06-2022, 04:03 PM   #11
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Read the website. You're basically buying by temperature range, and as the temp range goes up the coefficient of friction gets a little higher. A neat feature for mixing and matching if the car doesn't have ABS or bias adjust for different circuits or weather.

Best pads out there for brake release.

They are not inexpensive. About $250-$300/axle these days.

I'm at XP10/XP8 - Front/Rear on the e36 M3. Stock S52, rotors, and calipers. I drive it hard.

I get about 8h out of a set of fronts, 16h out of the rears. +/- a few hours depending on which circuits I'm visiting.

There is effectively zero rotor wear. The rotors will TMF crack out long before they wear. Soft on rotors also means benign dust. It just washes right off. Zero iron fallout.

I replace my front rotors after two or three sets of pads, just eyeballing the TMF cracks for my level of comfort.

IIRC the XP8 is about 1050F or 1100F. XP10 about 1350F? Next ones up are the XP12 and XP14.

When you do break past the temperature range on the pads they are very forgiving on fade. Much smaller friction reduction than other pads under temp fade. If you're over heating the compound there is a minor loss in friction and they tend to thump up the rotor.

Carbotechs are not compatible with any other pad manufacturer You need dedicated rotors for the carbotech pads.

The XP10/8 are oK for a little street driving. A quick trip to the grocery store between track days is oK, They will thump up if you're using them on the street extensively. I pop on a set of 1521 street pads if I'm not going to be at the track much.