View Single Post
      07-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #595
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
* The oil temperatures will follow closely the coolant temperatures. That Stett Oil cooler with the 180F thermostat is just a temporary patch. Once the coolant temps get up to 240, there is no way to keep the oil temps at 180F.

* It will be extremely beneficial for track people to cool off their engines by running their cars with AC on. Not only this will circulate the oil through the oil cooler, thus cooling it, but it will drop BOTH the coolant and oil temps to 180-190F.

* If we want to improve our cars to last longer in the track, we should be concentrating on better radiators, cooling fans and airflow to the radiators. I think that going down the path of improving oil cooling is not beneficial unless your car did not come with stock oil cooler.

If someone is willing to test my theory, that would be awesome. Do a track day with your AC on, windows closed and blower fan on speed 4 or higher. You will be amazed.
couple key things to note.

1. In this thread we go by centigrade when it comes to coolant temps. So your seeing 110-115C in stop and go? That's not too abnormal. Most of us on this thread will probably see 98C tops. That's because we are running a summer coolant mix, while you're stock. You've also probably never used a cooling system flush, like prestone, or peak's formula, so your radiator has all sorts of hot spots, causing your high temps.

2. Your coolant and maybe oil is dropping, when you turn on your AC, because of the same exact reason why it drops when you turn on your heater. When you turn on, either the AC or heater, coolant flows through the heating core located inside your dashboard. A fan then blows on it. Believe it or not, with the dial at say 70F, weather you turn on the heater or AC, coolant flows through the heating core. Do some research if you doubt me, and learn how the heater/AC works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heater_core

Its still 10x's better to turn on your heater at the track, not the AC. Most of us know this. The AC will turn on the compressor, and add parasitic power loss to your car.

3. Please don't take this the wrong way, cuz you're a bit of a hot head online, but NOTHING you can do to your car, will ever even come close to simulating the type of heat stress you put a car through on the track. NOTHING. Not repeated acceleration runs, stop and go in 115F,....Nothing! So thanks for your contribution, but please take your car to the track above 80F, to understand what we are dealing with.

Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 07-25-2011 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0