View Single Post
      12-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #967
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport F20

@ Ed90

Well, long cranks for me meant bad oxygen sensor caused by excess fuel going through the car systems I think which damaged the sensor that then locked the car in its homogenous settings hiding the real issue which was the N43 coil issue. I bought the car end of January, within the first month had it back to supplying dealership due to long cranks, it ended up at BMW who changed the o2 sensor. Car then started to utilise the leaner settings "stratespheric" or something and these are the settings where the misfiring happens. I got my first misfire 10 seconds after leaving BMW with my new O2 Sensor. Thankfully I had purchased the BMW warranty within a couple of days of buying the car as it went back due to the misfire. I was told the CAT was blocked so I did a regen down the motorway. It was still misfiring so it went back, misfires had been recorded but we didn't know over what time period, so I drove away with a "reset system" still misfiring, few days later went back to BMW, confirmed misfiring over x miles so 2 cylinders done with coils etc... straight after this I then get a clutch judder on pickup, probably linked to the new coils / software, ignored this at first as I broke down and limped back to BMW, had the remaining 2 cylinders done and drove away. Then carried on suffering the clutch judder but no misfiring, went back to BMW and thay quoted me £400+ to investigate the clucth with worst case it needing to be replaced and no warranty claim so about £1800. This was all within 4 months of buying the car. I thought, know way am I doing this, its not fair, all these problems are linked so I tried to reject the car back to the supplying dealership, I got know where so I traded the car at Mini for a Cherished Mini Cooper. Picked up BMW End of January and swapped into Mini mid June and it all started with long cranks and the initial thought was crank position sensor, oh do I wish it had been! My saga lasted 4 months and has ended up with me being in MASSIVE neg equity through no fault of my own.
Appreciate 0