View Single Post
      07-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
psre08
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 & 330Ci E46

Rear wheel bearing replacement (exhaust side) - word of advice

Vehicle: 2006 (Jan/06) 330i, daily driver, winter driven (5 winters) - lots of snow, ice, salt, sand. Takes a beating.

To anyone attempting this for the first time, on a car that's never had a bearing replaced before: take it to an indy.

This project of mine started 2 weeks ago... that's the reality when life gets in the way of meaningful repair work It's a good thing we have a second car.

I purchased all the right tools. Bearing separator, 3-jaw puller, I have several torque wrenches, an impact wrench, reverse torx sockets, tons of ratchet extensions, etc etc. Lots of beer, endless supply of music, handy neighbours and a patient wife. I had everything necessary to do the job... or so I thought.

The first part of the job was painstaking, but not too technically difficult. The rotor was nicely seized on the hub, so it took about 45 minutes of brute force, culminating in the use of a sledgehammer to break it free.

Next up was the part that's killing me... still working on it. The rear axle shaft needs to be disconnected from the differential. Sounds easy... right? Not on this particular car. All the stuff I read online about the E90 (and there's not much), indicated that the shaft would just "pop" off unlike the E46... well that was pretty much the largest load of horse manure I ever heard... I suppose it may be true on a newish car, that doesn't experience the weather extreme we do up north though. Anyway, that's not my reality.

First, I followed standard procedure (I think) and disconnected the lower control arm from the bearing carrier to give me access to the CV bolts holding the axle to the differential.

Many people drop the exhaust but I didn't find it was necessary, although the job did require some acrobatics and contortion on my part. Getting all those CV bolts out was pretty brutal, but doable.

Second, and finally, the axle shaft. It shafted me. Over and over again. The thing is seized on the differential so much that it's almost part of it. I emptied a can of WD-40 all around the end of it and through the bolt holes. I let it soak for hours. I pushed, pulled and shook with everything I had. I even took the sledgehammer to it... the thing wouldn't budge one bit.

I'm going to try again tonight, but I'm very close to throwing in the towel, calling a flatbed and taking it to the shop. My last ditch before the flatbed will be to get my indy to make a house call.

I pride myself on doing lots of maintenance myself, but I've learned my lesson on this one and I hope others will read this and save themselves the stress, anger and lost hours of life trying to fix something that should cost like $400 to do.

If your car is in the same situation as mine, I STRONGLY suggest not attempting this. It's not as easy as it seems. I've replaced lots of things on my car, but replacing the exhaust side rear wheel bearing has got to be the most challenging task I've ever attempted.

Good luck
Appreciate 0