View Single Post
      11-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #141
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
A quick question for those of you that participated. Why exactly did the organizers set things up so you have to make a hard right before the starting cones? It seems like after both cars come out of that turn there is very little time to make sure you're lined up with your opponent correctly. Worse, if one of the drivers were to gun it coming out of the corner, it could cause a spin out and a rather nasty accident.

Secondly, instead of using cones at the start and finish, why not use a small rumble strip so there's no ambiguity about when to put the pedal to the metal?
I think they had to add the corner so the cars had enough room to brake safely after the 1/2 mile mark. Some of those cars were hitting 200mph! From what I saw they could've equalized the left and right lanes by starting both cars farther to the left side of the track and setup the turning point so both cars had nearly the same line around the corner. As it was the inside car had to go very slow, and the outside car had to nail the throttle just after the corner. It was easy to get a bad start. I think the vid taken by Wedge shows this very clearly.

I don't think the rumble strip would help. The drivers had no trouble seeing the start cone, they simply had trouble lining up side by side while going the same speed for a clean start.

Last edited by Dave W.; 11-17-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0