View Single Post
      03-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #76
kayak4r
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi touring

2008 e91 with 197,000km and just got the water pump and tstat replaced today. I would call it preventative maintenance since it didn't leave me stranded on the side of the road. I was just waiting for the ding in heavy traffic with nowhere to stop.

Just my observations for anyone wondering:

I had the amber and then red high temp lights come on and then go off almost immediately before even pulling over. Got the reader out and I had the 2e84 and 2e85 communication error codes.I also watched the live data stream and noticed the coolant temp getting close to 100 degrees Celsius and the water pump rpm staying at 194 no matter how high the engine rpms were or how hot the coolant temp got. After replacement the codes were gone and the temp stayed closer to 90 and the rpm settled in at 175 and went well above 200 when the temp got to 90 or the engine rpms got higher. There was also a point when the pump didn't even start up when the car turned on.

So, it wasn't completely dead, but it was getting unreliable enough to replace. From the sound of things I'd say I got a good life out of the first one.
Appreciate 0