03-09-2019, 05:43 AM   #183
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post

And another thing is that when you daily something a lot, it loses its luster and doesn't feel fast anymore. DD'ing my civic all week and then getting into my stock f80 feels like I'm jumping into warp drive.
Ah, I'm not so sure about that. I think it depends on the commute. So I live 80 miles from my office. The commute is from a rural area into Northern Virginia. The roads out near the house are in the (small) mountains West of DC where they follow rivers and trace over the landscape, really excellent roads. And then part of the commute is Route 66 and Route 28 which are super-slab parking lots at rush hour.

I've been driving my E90, wheezy old 325i with 215 hp, for almost 12 years now on this commute. 300,000+ miles. 20 hours seat time a week. I have to say I still enjoy driving the car. 4 years ago I added a 3.0si Z4 Coupe to my fleet and drive it once or twice a week. Even after adding that car, did not dull the enjoyment I have with the E90. At least twice a week I put the E90 away wet and steaming; that's if I think the deer will let get away with it.

Before the E90, I had a '89 E30 325i. I never lost enjoyment of driving that one either. My wife owns a '97 Z3 M44. I commute in it once and a while. We've had that car 22 years this month. Slow as an old hunting dog, but drop the top and open it up on the back roads on a nice day, it's still worth the price of the admission ticket. In 2013 I had an F30 335i (auto) for a week as a loaner. Drove it over 800 miles on my commute. Far much more power than my N52, but I found the car boring and sloppy on the back roads.

A classic BMW on the right road is just a good combination. You can only go so fast off the track. I'd rather daily drive an old BMW and incur the expense any day over a JDM (and I drove 1st-gen Integra for 230,000 miles in the early '90s)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0