View Single Post
      06-26-2020, 06:57 AM   #238
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I trimmed >50% of the plate off to fit and I kept the black bottom belly pan which fits over the aluminum pan.

If you look at the subframe in cross-section and note where the control arms attach it's basically an open-ended bracket. It's not fully boxed in. The difference is large in the front end response. I did Monoball thrust bearings first, which was great but the plate made it all work together.

Also, adding an aluminum plate at the bottom of the chassis is the best possible place to add weight, plus the trade-off is just so enjoyable.

OE manufacturers do not add chassis stiffeners that are not VERY noticeable. It's just a waste of their time and money and they don't do that. Also, BLW has implemented some version of this brace as stock on the M3 cars since the E30 days. The E46 one could not be retrofitted, in the E36 and E30 cars it's a massive improvement in feel/precision. On my E36 M3 it was called the "x-brace".

I say you're missing out in feel if you don't do it. The only downside is the weight, but it's very inboard and low and aluminum. Cut 2/3rds off the stock weight of the plate and that will be what you are adding. The M3 went as far as to have carbon plastic bumper reinforcements, but added this piece - that says a lot!

it totally follows with your CSL theme, too. All cars that where that badge have a brace in that location - just sayin'! :-)
Ok I’m sold! I just BIN one for $85 delivered on EBay. Sounds like it’s worth adding 6lbs for the benefits. Thanks for suggesting it!
Appreciate 0