View Single Post
      07-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
tom_seddon
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport (N53)

I've got a LCI 330i manual. Never driven the other ones you're looking at.

As far as driving it goes, I like it. Nice sharp acceleration (once past what feels like a <2000rpm town driving ECU mode), and it sounds nicely loud and noisy when revved, especially at 5000+rpm. But it really does need to be revved to get the best out of it, though - the performance is a bit limp until 3000+rpm, and even at that point it's only getting started. After 10 years of driving diesels, I quite like this somewhat-exciting revviness - but it can get a bit tiring when I'm just driving normally and want to go a bit quicker.

I bet the 335i doesn't have these issues. Probably much less call for going above 3000rpm, so I'm not surprised to hear it might be more fuel efficient for everyday driving. I bet it feels a lot quicker, too...

Additional minor disadvantage: the LCI 330i engine is petrol direct injection, so it's clattery and unrefined at low revs, like a diesel. The gearstick vibrates, and the engine can be felt through the seats. The injectors chirp and cheep loudly enough that with the windows down on a quiet night it sounds like there's a cement mixer running in a nearby street.

Additional major disadvantage: the LCI 330i engine does not seem to be reliable, not at all. Mine has had 1 comically expensive full set of injectors + other guff, a very common fault, luckily in my case with the supplying dealer footing the £2,200+VAT bill. All seemingly OK for a while after that, but I've found in the last month that it's got an oil leak of some kind... something that apparently can be due to the replacement injectors being no good as well! (Do a google for "N53 problems" or smilar - my experience doesn't seem to be unusual.) This type of car just seems to be fundamentally flaky, and may well be worth avoiding on this basis alone.

Anyway, there you go. I like mine, but objectively, it kind of sucks. Now come on, you know you want to: just buy the M3.

--Tom

Last edited by tom_seddon; 07-26-2018 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0