View Single Post
      03-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #164
VMX1
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Cabriolet

I respect your opinion Efthreeoh. I don't necessarily agree with everything you said there...but I do understand your point of view...

Flat six huh? Valkyrie or Goldwing? I have a 2000 Goldwing that is my pride and joy...Candy two tone red. Love the cassette deck..LOL...:P

I have also read Mike's guide, and I would agree, it is a little over kill but, at the same time, a nice "guide" if taken with a grain of salt.

"I think automotive mileage-based maintenance schedules for cars are as completely reasonable as are time-based maintenance schedules for GA aircraft, or farm equipment for that matter."

I would certainly agree with this...but...LOL....always a but huh?

Millage is all well and good and an excellent indicator but time has to be worked into that equation as well. If you have a car with 20k miles on it but it is 10+ years old you really should...and like you, this is just my opinion with 12 years automotive and 23 years aviation speaking...you should have a look at certain things. Your 18 year old timing belts might look good to the naked eye but I would bet dollars to donuts it wouldn't under proper inspection. You got lucky in my opinion...If you had lost that belt that interference engine would have cost you a lot more than a $50 dollar timing belt and adjusters.....

Same with the brake hoses...22 years old huh? Looks good outside but have you had them off to inspect the condition inside? You loose one of those in a critical situation and you may well regret a $20.00 part for the rest of your life....especially if it is at the result of someone else's life....just food for thought..

Making fun of Mikes work because he purposes preventative maintenance that is, to some aggressively premature, is fine...I mean your car, your dime. But, I also think leaning in the other direction could be considered just as bad? I have seen things that looked perfectly fine to the naked eye but under scope and test were finished. Replacing items for the sake of replacing them is wasteful. I agree. But some serious discretion should be giving to safety items 10+ years old...

Just my 2Cents as well...

All the best to you Efthreeoh.

Be safe

VMX1

Last edited by VMX1; 03-17-2019 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0