03-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #276
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Tony, I'm interested in doing this.

In all honesty - are the prices going to be prohibitive/piss takingly high?

Will there be an exchange system to speed up turnaround?

If not, what's the turnaround gonna be?

All questions you may not have the remit/inclination to answer but I'm just asking!!

Matt

Through Birds there will be an exchange turbo program, whereby you send in your old turbos and they send out a suitably modified version.

I personally don't think the costs (when they're finally released) are prohibitively high, and certainly not piss-takingly high given the amount of work needed and the performance increase afterwards. I'll give you an example of the work, and actually this also provides a timely update as to what we're doing!

The new turbos have been mounted onto the engine, and we have been fabricating brand new oil lines and water lines to fit around the new core. The standard BMW lines are not compatible with the new turbo core. Just the planning of these oil and water lines has taken us two days of work, because we have to take into account any blockages or 'fouling' conditions that may result.

We also discovered when taking the BMW OEM oil lines down, that the layout of some of the lines are very odd, with crinks and bends in the lines where there shouldn't be any. One of the bends was almost 180 degrees on itself, and the aperture for the oil to flow through was miniscule. We have redesigned the hoses so that full flow rate of both oil and water can be maintained.

There's a lot more work to an upgrade like this than just making a new set of turbos and bolting them on! Little things, like placement of heat shields to prevent heat radiation into the lines, take an inordinate amount of time to plan and make. We've also taken the decision to encase the oil and water lines in a heatproof shielding to reduce heat transfer as much as possible.

It will take a day or two more to get the car in fully working order - in time for the 'Ring, but not in time for UK9 in the Peak District sadly

Will update soon with pictures
Appreciate 0