View Single Post
      11-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstar007E90 View Post
...I removed the battery off my E90 to charge it up over night...now car won’t start hooked up my diagnostic it can not Communicate with the DME...I have even been out bought a new battery nothing checked all fuses glove box and engine compartment there is no power going to the DME...E90 2005/2006 318i SE Mileage 126000 New battery
Welcome to the Forum!

QUESTIONS:

1) Do you have a DMM (Digital Multimeter)?
2) What is the voltage measured at the posts of the battery you removed?
3) What is the voltage measured at the post of the new battery, as installed? Don't disconnect anything, just put one probe of meter on each battery post from above, in center of terminal clamp.
4) What is the voltage measured at the "Jumpstart Terminals" under the hood? (Red Plastic Cap beside windshield washer fluid reservoir cap is Positive or B+ and Hex Pin on Right Wing is chassis ground). For future reference, use those terminals for ALL purposes in charging, or jumpstarting; NO NEED to remove battery unless you are replacing it. Disconnect Negative Battery Terminal ONLY if you need to work on electrical system (to prevent short ;-).
5) It is quite likely that you disconnected one of the Red Wires that connects the RPDP or "Rear Power Distribution Panel" which covers the battery. On my 2007 328xi, the Small Red cable just outboard of the Large Red cable has a Black Plastic "snap-in" connector to the rear of the RPDP. That small red cable provides B+ to the DME. Make sure it is firmly seated, and test for 12V+ at that fusible link of the RPDP if the DME is NOT getting 12V+ or B+. WHAT voltage measurement do you get at that socket? Where are you measuring voltage when you say "there is no power going to DME"?
6) Since your thread is titled "Cranks but no start", I presume you have 12V+ at the Jumpstart Terminals, and the Starter cranks the engine, but the engine simply does NOT fire?

If correcting an issue at the RPDP does NOT supply power to the DME, please provide the last 7 characters of your VIN so we can plug it into the TIS home page & get specific information on YOUR model. Most of us in US are NOT familiar with the 318i, and can't offer specific info without looking at proper circuits for YOUR vehicle.

George
Appreciate 0