View Single Post
      06-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #191
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjones View Post
Just so I'm clear, the very very fine roughness I feel even after claying is not a matter of the 'grade' of clay? In other words, 'fine', vs 'very fine' (does clay come in different degrees of 'fine'?), but is rather that I'm not claying long enough?

One thing I just learned, I used Mother's clay in a pinch, and it was horrible! I will never use Mother's clay again. It fell apart, was not cohesive, and was not as effective as the Clay Magic I first used.

EDIT: Just learned the following: For the brand 'Clay Magic', medium grade (red) removes moderate to heavy contaminants; fine grade (blue) removes light to moderate contaminants. So that makes sense. I don't think the fine grade (blue) is fine enough to remove the tiny granules I am feeling. What I would need is a very fine grade - don't know if that is even manufactured.
Fine vs medium clay does not determine the type of particles the clay will pick up from your paint (fine vs medium sized). It is referring to how abrasive the clay is. Medium clay is more agressive and will pick up more junk faster. It will also create marring on your paint. Meduim clay is usually used in bodyshops to remove overspray from panels.

In terms of the particles you are still feeling. I think it is because you need to clay a bit more.

In terms of the mothers clay, it's never fallen apart on me. I like it. Maybe you got a bad bar. I do like the clay magic blue as well.
Appreciate 0