05-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #13
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
What you need to know is what position the eccentric shaft is in when the car is off. Does valvtronic default to min lift when you turn the car off? Does the eccentric shaft run to max lift when the car turns off? Or, does teh eccentric shaft stay at whatever it was at when you shut the car off?

I am guessing the valvetronic motor puts the eccentric shaft to either min or max lift when you shut the car off... I guess this only because the motor runs when you start the car... why else would it be running if not to move back to idle valve lift settings?

If you unplug the valvetronic motor with the car off and you can't get it to turn over then you know the eccentric shaft is at min lift. If the car runs fine then they are probably at max lift (get a log). No damage can come of this except the risk of blowing something electrical if you attempt to disconnect valvetronic with the car running or something lol
OK, I'm still unclear about all this. here's why. (Oh, and I've been only talking about disconnecting ESS not the VVT motor)
  1. max lift -> AFAIK max lift should correspond to max opening of the valves. if so, why is this a must ? or is it just better (for like better cylinder filling) ? either way, why ?
  2. max, min, or in-between lift -> since these are gas engines with relatively low compression ratios, I would think any valve lift should work. meaning than even at max valve travel there should no danger of the piston hitting the valve in fully open position. is this accurate ?
  3. since this is just a short-term test, and assuming 2 above is accurate, why would it matter if when I disconnect ESS my vvt motor had eccentric shaft in max valve lift, or min lift, or in-between lift ?
  4. is the disconnecting the ESS even in fact disabling the VVT motor ? again all is working on my car, what I want is to disable the VVT on the car in order to troubleshoot, and all I seem to read is that disconnecting ESS will do this but I'm still unsure if that's true
  5. is all this maybe not related to any of the above, and possibly to something else ? like say (and these are just my speculations) with the DME accepting a non-working ESS only upon seeing the eccentric shaft in max valve lift ?
tuners or people with a better understanding of the relationships involved in vvt, can you pls chime in
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0