DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias_E90 View Post
Hey, ill answer as i understand things, (i may be wrong) but maybe ill help. [snip]
Yes, that is what I was thinking / describing too. But I'm still afraid to be the guinea pig until I find a bit more assurances from others that have more or first hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
The ESS IS the VVT motor. It is integrated. Unplugging ESS is the same thing as unplugging the VVT motor that drives the gear that turns the eccentric shaft. Only in the case of a failed sensor can the DME still rotate actuate the valvtronic motor to set the eccentric shaft to max lift. There would be different fault codes in that case compared to what you get when you unplug power from the entire unit lol
I'm not sure you understand the VVT system. The motor is just actuating the eccentric shaft per the ECU instructions, with the ESS sensing the position it's in. They are physically and functionally different parts, and they are part of the VVT system.

Back to my question - which way is it ok to try and disable the VVT system, which right now is my #1 suspect in driveability issues in hot conditions ?

Initially it sounded like it would be disconnecting the ESS, then some suggested disconnecting the VVT motor (both are fully functional on the car, no codes). And if any them would do it, what are the consequences ? I'm afraid of doing any damage or other long-term problems to the car/engine. Deleting error codes is not a problem, have INPA.

Somebody has to know and not just speculate like I and others seem to be doing here... (which - don't get me wrong - I do appreciate )
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0