Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
[colors added]

I'm going to try to clear things up.

Firstly the N52 uses variable Valve lift (VVL or Valvtronic) for load control (throttle). VVL is the variable Valve Timing, (vanos).

The Eccentric cam motor controls the valve lift by rotating the eccentric cam.

The engine can operate at any normal RPM with maximum valve lift 9.7mm,

BMW built a fail safe system into the VVL by adding a program that, when triggered drives the VVL to full lift and then controls the engine load with the throttle, just like a normal engine. In this mode engine RPM is limited to 6,500 RPM

Disconnecting the Eccentric cam sensor will probably trigger the fail safe and the eccentric cam would be driven against the stops The eccentric cam motor would be deactivated by a load limit control and the DME would assume the cam had reached max rotation producing 9.7mm lift.

Test by Pulling the plug on the sensor and turning on the ignition, you should hear the VVL motor running to a stop. Plug in the sensor and check the eccentric cam location via INPA. Should be something like 174.5-180 degrees Unplug the sensor, start the car and go for a drive.

You should be able to hear different sounds made by the intake system. Blip the throttle and you will hear the air rush past the throttle plate as it opens.
Great, this is v helpful !

To make sure the 2nd para should read like this ?
Firstly the N52 uses variable Valve lift (VVL) for load control (throttle). VVT is the variable Valve Timing, (vanos).
i.e. there is a VVL and a VVT and only the VVL is involved in simulating throttle for cylinder filling purposes, and would be possible to disable via the motor or the ESS. Both these VVL and VVT are part of the Valvetronic, for which I think most posts - incl. mine - are using the VVT moniker, which is technically incorrect (VVT is just the timing component of the Valvetronic).

From what your are describing here, it sounds like disconnecting the ESS is the way to go to disable at least part of the Valvetronic, i.e. the VVL system. But the VVT would still be active. I insist due to that "probably" you had in there

Well, that would still be good progress. Is there is a safe way to disable the VVT ? obviously you can disconnect the Vanos but that is really messing up operation AFAIK.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0