View Single Post
      06-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #19
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I think you have got a handle on this now, however Valvetronic and Vanos are two separate systems. My N54 powered current car has Vanos but no Valvetronic.

I've run my N52 with the Valvtronic disabled. Not intentionally, I was pushing the limits with the tune parameters and the system would drop into fail safe mode. Dropping into fail safe actually pretty seamless and it's hard to notice that the VVL stopped working.

Vanos disable, That's a different story. I'm not sure the default position for the Camshafts is safe for all operating engine speeds. That's an experiment that I would not do, The car would run like crap anyways.

I still don't really understand what you are trying to achieve by disabling the Valvtronic. It's unlikely that this system is the cause of any problem that's difficult to diagnose. I can guarantee that the eccentric cam is going to move to the position commanded or the DME will go to fail safe. The position sensor is actually two sensors that must agree with each other or it faults out. BMW wanted to be really sure that the engine had some form of fail safe throttle control. Runaway cars are big problems for the liability teams, just ask Lexus.

Vanos, on the other hand has given owners some grief. But I strongly believe proper logging with freely available tools can easily show sticking Vanos control valves for plugged filters. INPA and Test0 are really good tools.
Appreciate 0