View Single Post
      09-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #12
TKO Performance
Rep
Drives: Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
When I drive on I-95 down here in South Florida the road noise is terrible in my M3. It has a lot to do with the tire compound, low profile, and harshness of the roads.
Pow... There is is. Yeah we have a lot of customer in FL. Apparently the concrete and or the lines in the road can drive you nuts.
Most of our customer use runflats so they are pretty hard.

Thank you Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
2015 M235. Michelin Pilot Sport 4s maybe 5 or 6 thousand miles on tires. In town super quiet, I don't even think about road noise.

Last week driving at high interstate speed I became aware of some tire hum but not excessive. But I didn't consciously think about wind noise and I was probably in the upper 80's speed range. That had me thinking on certain concrete highway road surfaces the tires do noise up and on certain bituminous highway surfaces (I think they add a grain for wet traction) the noise does perk up.

In comparison about a month ago took a trip from Baltimore to North of Philly on I-95 and just flowing with traffic and was thinking to myself how can a little sporty car be so refined noise wise. Very serene cruiser - my gf was fast asleep reclined in the passenger seat. Only on a cement surface of the highway along the Delaware River at high speed did tire hum become a thought.
Interesting. And with a M series too.
Yes tire compound and the road will absolutely make a difference. However no to bad with you and where you were. Fantastic feed back Scott. Thank you
Appreciate 0