12-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
Contact the shipping line's agent directly. You just need the price of a 20ft dry van. Drive the car in (real easy), and someone to lash it for you properly using the harness hooks in the box. I recommend driving the car to the container yard as to save yourself the trucking back/forth from Baltimore.
for Africa, I recommend using Safmarine (Maersk subsidiary). they are kind of the shit for Africa.

They will rip you on the shipping rate. They usually triple the shipping rate given by the line, and for no good reason

If you're insistent on not doing any leg work, at least get a rate from the line to use as a bargaining chip against any freight forwarder. Pit them against each other for the lowest rate.

If the car is new, you'll probably get the shit end of the stick. You can however bring it in and drive it on US plates if the car is under his name. But that's a whole new set of paperwork. If the car is over a certain mileage (varies from place to place), the customs price drops a lot because it is considered a used car.
Also, people who move newly are usually allowed some exemption when bringing in "their car". Again, this is most of the civilized world, not too sure about Congo.
I'm PMing you if I ever move to Africa (no sarcasm)!
Appreciate 0