02-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #892
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Christian, at 102K miles I am just now replacing the radiator on my 6AT. I don't know if you've held our radiator, but it is probably the smallest one I have personally ever seen. Looks like it came out of a toy car. Despite this, your common speculation about the correlated heat issues with a 6AT is misguided. Yes the 6AT's radiator has the double duty of serving the transmission, BUT you forgot to mention that even the 1M, and 335IS, with their extra radiator, and manual transmissions, still over heat at the track. This is a twin turbo vehicle we are talking about here. Lap after lap, you will keep getting slower. I spend time hosing down my radiator between sessions, and make it through a full track day without issues. Arrogant 6mt owners, just start out among the leading cars, and end up at the bottom half, time after time.
IMO 6MT cars are doing fine in 90% of the cases with an upgraded oilcooler (which neither the 1M nor 335is have from the factory).

Us AT guys need a separate transmission cooler beyond the cooling upgrades currently available. Which is what I will get custom made before the track season starts.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0