View Single Post
      05-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
sav_e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘07 328xi Coupe

Dropped Vanos O-Ring into Engine.... Help?

So I made a pretty big mistake today while replacing my exhaust vanos solenoid. I was attempting to seat the rubber o-ring into the engine before inserting the solenoid (after a few failed attempts to slide the solenoid into the engine with the o-ring on the solenoid) and it fell into the engine.

So now I am faced with a dilemma. A search of past posts reveals a short thread where the prevailing opinion seems to be that a small rubber o-ring is not a big deal compared to the mechanics of the engine, will likely land in my oil pan, and is not likely to make it through my oil pickup tube. But that's a pretty scary "maybe."

My current plan is to buy a boroscope tomorrow and take a look. If the o-ring isn't stuck on the timing chain somewhere, I'll presume its in the oil pan. If the logic is correct that it won't make it through the pick up tube, I'll get another o-ring, finish installing my solenoid and call it a day. If its stuck where it shouldn't be, I'll try to fish it out and if I can't, I'll try to knock it down into the oil pan.

Or... if I really need to, I'll have the car towed to a shop and pay an exorbitant fee to have the engine disassembled such that it can be retrieved. What a shame.

What do you guys think? Will this o-ring be the death of my n52? Does my plan sound reasonable?