View Single Post
      01-08-2023, 04:20 PM   #1114
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
So your use of electricity to charge your EV and your power generated from your solar system are separated. You are selling power you aren't using during the day, and having to buy someone else's power when you charge at night. When you add an EV load to the equation that is a lot of load , it will become an unbalanced relationship. Having solar doesn't fix that. Socal is going to become saturated with Solar soon at this rate. The value of the power you are selling will drop, and the cost of "someone else's power" at night will increase.

Not trying to argue, just pointing out that the rationale for "solar will solve the EV load" is not a very good position now, and will be even worse in the long run. It still requires "someone else" to make the power that goes into your EV. It is this imbalance that will shift the value of what you sell vs what you buy. Texas has a lot of wind generation, there have been numerous times where the power grid charged people to generate (negative value) because the grid became unbalanced : supply vs. load. The value of wind energy during those events was a negative number. Socal solar is headed in this direction, and in most cases the utilities have the right to refuse to buy your power, or to charge you a fee for making it.
I don't think you get what I'm saying...I'm simply saying since I have solar my electric bills are very low if any...charging an EV in the dead of night at low peak hours isn't going to effect me much...My neighbor has two EV's and says his bills didn't go up dramatically and he doesn't even have solar....so compared to the $4.50 a gal of gas around here it would be nice not to spend $70-100 every time I fill up

btw, can't compare California to Texas when it comes to utilities ...Texas is notorious for having some of the shadiest energy companies in the US

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 01-08-2023 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197271.50