View Single Post
      11-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #28
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Just for reference if anyone comes across this thread on search or google.

Fixed Joe's car by running steuern_elvcounter_cas_loeschen and steuern_elvcounter_elv_loeschen in Tool32

Start up Tool32, select CAS.prg and double click on the two jobs. CAS will reset after job completion.

Was a bit worried when first connecting to the car as the CAS would not allow the ignition to be turned on. This can cause all sorts of issues when coding/diagnosing using INPA so I wasn't sure if the tool32 scripts would run.

After running the two jobs we heard a thump from the car and the CAS unit reset. Upon ejecting the key we heard the sound of the steering lock disengage. Tried engine start and we got the familiar sound of n54 cold start with downpipes!

Came across this document in ISTA regarding the ELV counter. Unlike some BMWs, our cars will disable the igniution and prevent engine start when the ELV counter has reached maximum. This has obviously happened when the battery died with the key still in the ignition. There was probably enough power to power the processors in the CAS system but not enough energy to activate the steering lock. It attempts a bunch of times and you can't start the car.

Can't say I agree with the design, seems a bit dumb that the counter persists after power cycling.
Attached Images