01-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #66
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizinmax View Post
You forget that the cooling system is under pressure. At 14 psi water boils at 246 degrees. Also it is known that coolant does not transfer heat as efficiently as pure water. As far as efficiency you only want to run the amount of coolant that will keep it from freezing as the higher the coolant mix the lower the freezing point. A 50:50 mix drops the freezing point down to -34f. If you live in an area where the temperature will never drop that low you can mix more water and the system will transfer heat more efficiently.
Definitely great points to consider. I'm just talking from practical, hands-on observations on two cars now. The observation I have is that if I mix too much distilled water, I get the boiling on the head. Two N54 cars. I ran the water pump air purge cycle twice with the cap off and then once with it on because I read some where that it was recommended that way as well, so I tried it. I opened the screw, let the air out and closed it back. Ran the car, it started boiling after a short drive. I removed some coolant from the system from the radiator screw, added more G48, ran the cycle once more, and things have been great even after multiple spirited runs. I must be putting too much distilled water is my conclusion. I could pretty much reproduce it at will now that I've seen it with this car as well.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0