rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tino_tino View Post
I have a funny issue I'm trying to resolve and wonder if anybody has any ideas.

I fitted a differential from a 2005 320d to my 2005 330i.

With the original gearbox map for the 330i the shift points were all over the place. It did drive but had to use manual mode to do upshifts at the right time.

To try and improve the situation I uploaded the 320d map.

At present it does exactly what I want it to do as I converted the car for economy use and this was why I fitted the long diff. It shifts through all gears and never really goes above 3000rpm in ordinary daily driving.

Unfortunately, because it thinks it's a diesel it has cut the rev limit to about 4200rpm so the rest of my 3 litre petrol RPM range is inaccessible once in gear and driving on the road. (i.e. it'll rev in park or neutral).

So is there any way to edit the file for the 320d to tell it that my up shifts should take place at 6000rpm when at 80-110% throttle. This would have to be for all modes as it does the same thing in sports mode if you try to manually hang onto the gears.

The up-shifts do happen within the engine peak torque band but you don't get to hear any straight-6 noises and I think it would be a faster car if it could rev to the original rpm.

The other alternative would be if final drive could be edited in the original file. Whichever is easier. To me the 320d map seems more suited as it keeps the RPMs right down and picks up more firmly allowing less TC slip... just from seat of the pants feeling. But either map could work with the problems fixed.
Frankly I think it would be way easier to adjust the shift points in the original 330I maps. You could change the Economy or D mode map to shift early and leave the rest near stock. Then the TCC maps would and need to be tightened for the Economy or D mode maps only. I hated the stock TCC maps anyways.

there are something like 9,000 maps and constants in the GKE211 tunes. torque converter power transfer curves, shift pressures, TCC min lock up temperatures, down shift on breaking, snow modes, max RPM, max safety rpm, shift rpm prediction, ETC and the diesel map is just too different.

tuning is fairly easy but It will take several different tunes to get it to a point that you're happy. Do you have any tuning experience? I could set you up with the WINOLS maps for the GKE211 and give you pointers but ultimately, the final set up needs to be developed by you.

Bimmerlabs has been set up for GKE211 programming and it works very well. Just start an account and download the correct ODA file make changes and upload the file back to Bimmerlabs. The tool will correct checksums and RSA signature and create a batch file that you could use to reflash the transmission with the "corrected" file.
Appreciate 0