View Single Post
      08-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Okay an update... so i found out that my camber should never be off by that much with the pins in. Meaning that no matter if the camber is at the max or min... it should always be with in spec and just require tweaking of the other settings besides camber. So I'm guessing that there must be something bent! It also means there is no need for that tool, as long as you are able to fit the pin in there.

I also found out that I shouldn't use the 11mm socket to remove the strut bar... but rather I should get a e-14 socket (female torx 14 socket, rather then the T14 bit). While the 11mm socket does fit over the bolt... it will probably strip it, the correct set of e sockets can be purchased from your local harbor freight store really cheap for about $7 for a set of e torx sockets (including the e14 you need).

I was told by the dealership that to remove the pins, you just need to pound out the pin from the top (which doesn't really make sense because if you pound it from the top to remove it... what was holding it in place???) I mean obviously it's resting on something that is holding it in that spot and by pounding it....you are just damaging the part???

I'm getting closer to the truth of this matter. Also I don't have to worry about getting the bolts and stuff removed because I have a Firestone lifetime alignment program purchased (so they do it all for free)

Oh oh... one other thing I learned, the weight bags... so I was cruising thru my local toys r us for a gift for a kid, when I came across a section for trampolines and other large out door things that kids can bounce around in/on. These things need some weights to help hold them in place. They are selling 50lb bags for $6/each That is a whole lot less then buying bar weights from sporting goods stores!!!! In the process for alignments it lists you need the following:
1) Driver seat = 150 lbs
2) Passenger seat = 150 lbs
3) Rear center = 150 lbs
4) Trunk = 45 lbs
5) Full tank of gas

So 500 lbs of bar weights = ~$500 at a sporting goods store.
But 500 lbs of toys r us silica weight bags = $60

and honestly... even in the future with other vehicles that don't require weight in the car... it's always better to put some weight in there to approximate the weight you normally would have in the car to get a perfect alignment. So I see this as a re-useable investment of $60.

Regards,
Faz

Last edited by fazman; 08-21-2011 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Appreciate 0