View Single Post
      11-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
RockCamBender
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Xdrive

'11 328i Xdrive won't start; No obd codes, Jump didn't work

Hey

I have a pretty weird situation and I'm just trying to make sure that I'm heading in the right direction. This is my first BMW and I've only had it for a year, so I'm not crazy knowledgable. Here's the situation...

Its been driving fine for the most part for the past few months, but it did have a couple of no crank no starts in the past couple of weeks; which it ended up starting immediately after. Also it has been having a few rough idles, I wasn't getting any codes but I figured I would have to replace my spark plugs/wires soon. It also (the day before it wouldn't start) starting to have a cable whining noise which would not go away. No check engine light but I did have a couple BMW codes relating to my rear brake pads, and it would not let me reset it. Recently had an oil/filter change. It has 76k miles. Was running errands the other making about 3 stops...on the 3rd after returning to my car it would not crank; I can hear the fuel pump though. No new codes, tried jumping it and it didn't work. So far I've tried disconnecting the IBS, disconnecting the battery for a few mins then reconnecting, checking all of my fuses (theyre all OK), and tried resetting all BMW codes. It does show a red service light which I'm assuming is for the rear brake code which is at 5k, as well as the car on a lift which also gives a code signifying brake pads.

I checked several forums and they got me this far. I'm still assuming its my spark plugs or starter; but the confusing part is, I hooked up an OBD reader and it is not giving me any codes for my engine or ECU. Could this still be a spark plug/starter issue without having any codes? After trying multple things I started getting codes related to my battery being depleted to quickly and it being low.

Thanks for any insight...I'm just confused on the no codes part, I would think that it would show some for the starter at least, or have saved codes for the spark plugs.
Appreciate 0