View Single Post
      06-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
jferrell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda3

Hey I'm fairly new but I figured I'd throw a rock in the pond on the issue. I'm a Client Advisor here in NC and I think it's a tough balance to find a fair deal for both sides. I have never heard of "Galves" here on the east cost but I do know we typically use Manheim for used car pricing as it gives us the last 30 days of wholesale pricing. I typically use Edmunds TMV(usually lowest), KBB(usually crazy high) and NADA(what the banks like) and that helps me to be fair. One thing I would be cautious of is trying to determine how much profit you'll "allow" a dealer to have. The thought process that they can be "stubborn" is more like they are watching their return on investment. As a CA I typically ask the question "If I asked you to invest XXXX amount of dollars, how much would you want guaranteed in return". Most customers are pretty reasonable at that point, you would probally not take 500 or 1000 dollar return on a 30 day investment of 25,000 which you may or may not turn in 30 days either. Stable value mutual funds average 5 or 6%, car business is risky business. Remember your CA usually has three interest if he's good, helping you get a car that in your budget and right for you, helping himself(he may make 20% or 25% of the profit if he's lucky) and helping the dealership(not giving away cars for no reason). There are two types of people regarding discount the type that has a budget and if he requires a substantial discount(thousands and thousands) then as a CA you've done wrong to put him on the car he's on, or the type that wants to win that wants to walk away feeling he's won and you walk away asking why you even bothered. I sometimes laugh at the thought of walking into random places and asking questions like "Whats your best price" or "What's the lowest you'll take". I want to see a hiring manager ask someone that one day and see their reaction, not really that'd be rude.
Appreciate 0