View Single Post
      12-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #634
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Took my car in for front brakes and an MOT test today and it failed the MOT because there is a crack on the offside rear (255/30 x 19" Bridgestone runflat)

Thing is, although I bought the wheels from BMW in April 2008, they have only done 28,000 miles in all that time because, except for this year, I only put them on the car in the summer months and, paradoxically, the original 17" wheels have bald tyres so I couldn't use them and as I had just bought a new set for the 19" wheels, job done for the MOT - or so I thought.

I paid for the run out test and the wheel is within specification so I haven't been kerbing it or bashing through big potholes (2 BMW excuses gone already). The dealer has contacted BMW and sent photographs of the wheel "asking for goodwill" huh!

Since I bought the wheels and tyres as a set, after I bought the car technically the sale of goods act, unencumbered by car purchase smoke and mirrors applies and I could have a claim against the dealer because the goods were unfit for purpose as a normal wheel, which has not been mistreated, would last a lot longer than 28,000 miles.

They will come back to me tonight or tomorrow and I'll post the progress although I don't hold out too much hope.

As an aside, I think it's only one small crack (and it's appeared since July, the last time I checked the wheels when off the car) so does anyone know if welding a repair works?
Appreciate 0