View Single Post
      10-31-2018, 08:36 PM   #23
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I should have added, if you are finding a half dollar sized spot on the floor, then the next time you drop the engine lower cover (belly pan) you'll find the belly pan a mess of oil and road grime. After I did my OPG it took me a good hour to fully clean the belly pan from the mess it carries. The belly pan on these cars hide a lot of fluid leaks.

I let my pan leak for about 88,000 miles and 2 years. It made a mess of the belly pan. Worst off it lets oil into the bell housing (which makes it look like the rear crank seal is leaking) and makes a mess inside the bellhousing, which I discovered when I replaced the clutch. The pressure plate has fan blades built into it for clutch cooling. The air turbulence inside the bell housing sprays the leaking engine oil all over the inside of the housing.
Does this "ruin" the clutch at all?
My 6MT has 106k on it and clutch still feels good and strong. Hoping it out lasts other parts of the car, because if the clutch goes, that MAY be the one of the few things that makes me get rid of the car. Clutch job would be $2500-3000 I would assume. Not sure if that is "worth it".... but for now, my clutch is good, I think yours has lasted pretty long?
Clutches are way more subjective, driving habits and style, etc, so I know mileage is not really a great indicator