Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca4wd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
R270 can Read/write to 160DOWT ok. But I don't think it can change odometer. So better hope your cluster has lower odometer reading than the car...

Thank you so much Sensible! The donor odometer should be higher which I can delay to install later to match my cluster. Interesting.. Assume if it can not change odometer which unable reset VIN to 'FF' as well? Does it mean the only option is to purchase a new '160DOWT' chip possibly from eBay? Anyone know of a good source to purchase one?

Also, any idea which wiring pins to connect 12v to light up the odometer donor cluster? I tried pins 9 and 18 which got the cluster needles to move. I would like to bench the donor cluster mileage without plug into my vehicle.
** Just learned by push on mileage button in lower left corner will display odometer with 12v connected to pins 9 & 18 **

Thank you, this is great forum...
Yes. 9 and 18 for 12v power.

The odometer reading is stored in a protected area. On M35080 and 080D0WQ and I think 160D0WQ, R270 can bypass the security even when in circuit.

The VIN does not have such protection and can be erased simply by modifying the dump and writing it back with VIN blanked (FF'd).
Appreciate 0