Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
You'd think someone making a product from scratch would take in count all of this before bringing it to market, as just trying to install it would have shown all these issues.. You shouldn't need to mess with trimming bmw oem bolts just to make the part fit. Nice work
I really wonder how much abuse one of these belts can take before they fail?

I replaced the belt on my E85 at 150,000 miles and it looked new. Current car is 10 years old and the belt is perfect. I'll change it next year for good measure but seriously how many belts fail on maintained motors? Would it be better to simple install a new belt every decade or so?

I understand one one BMW model has an issue with clearance when the motor mounts get old. But that's probably the same thing, replace the mounts.

Just my thoughts…….
I think they can go for ages as long as little to no oil gets on them tbh since the tensioner has a lot of range to move if it stretches a bit. I have never changed the belt in my car and I bought it with 100k and I'm at 142k right now, pretty sure it hadn't been changed before. It looks good so far and has really only gotten coolant on it afaik.

I should probably swap it out for good measure and do the crank seal guard. Which honestly looks like I could build one myself out of aluminum sheetmetal at work lol

I had a belt go through the front main in my old 335i. But I didn't know anything about bmws before and I ignored the oil filter housing and cooler leak. It slipped and magical $2500 repair bill. That car was definitely completely neglected though
Biginboca3763.50