03-08-2022, 01:40 PM   #1761
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I've been debating on getting it. The previews I've seen make it look like a great open world game with no point other than just running around and killing things. I've been waiting for my buddy to update me what it's actually like, but he hasn't said anything.
Do it. Would it be your first Souls type game?

Just be prepared to see the 'You Died' screen a lot. Almost 95 hours in and there is still much to explore, bosses to kill, story to progress. I would consider it more accessible than Dark Souls if one hasn't played a Souls game before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Elden Ring is amazing; I've totally fallen in love with this game. I've never played a souls game prior to this, so no idea how it compares; but I love Skyrim and Fallout and this seems pretty on par for the open world and combat.

The storyline is there, but not "required" to move forward so much, so you can do that as quick or slow as you want. the world is pretty much there to explore however you want otherwise which is nice.

I will say there is hardly any guidance at all so that can be a little frustrating at times. Google has become my best friend at a few points while playing, but overall it is a gorgeous world.

I will say the messaging system is pretty cool. Nothing better than walking up into a cave and having a message from some other player saying "it's a trap, look left" It takes a little getting used to, but I've found it easy enough to use or ignore depending on my mood.
Great you're enjoying it. The story has often been rather cryptic in Souls games, much of the lore is found on item descriptions.
Definitely found looking up a few things through my travels. Messaging was like this in the other games, rather helpful. 'It's a trap'
Appreciate 2
///d1820.00