View Single Post
      08-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #729
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
I purchased a used 2008 335i and whenever the engine revs past 4,000 RPM, it triggers the half-shaded engine warning light, goes into reduced power mode and runs awful. It clears up when I shut the engine down and restart, but returns if RPMs exceed 4,000 RPM again.

I brought it to my local dealer and they refused warranty work, stating that they couldn't find any history of an HPFP recall outstanding on this vehicle (they told me that there should be an entry if the voluntary recall was not yet initiated by any owner) and therefore the HPFP must have been replaced. Without any documentation showing that the replacement was within the past 2 years, they would not honor any further HPFP warranty work on the vehicle.

I was under the impression that it doesn't matter how many times it's been replaced, if it (and any replacements) break within the 10 year or 120,000 period, it must be replaced under warranty (mine's got 105k on the odo).

I shot off an e-mail to the customer.relations at BMW NA, as well as sending a copy of the BMW NA letter circulated to customers in 2010 that detailed the warranty extension to the service advisor that rejected the warranty work (well, his service manager told him it was rejected so he was just the messenger).

I'm really P.O.'d presently, especially if the warranty is indeed exactly what I just explained. The quote for replacing the HPFP is $1,200 USD: $560 for the pump, and the rest for labor.
Appreciate 0